Answered By: Corporate Communications
Last Updated: Jan 18, 2018     Views: 109

There are a number of circumstances where it is necessary to seek permission to use copyright material from the copyright holder. For example, you may wish to include third-party copyright material in a publication.

When you contact the copyright holder, make it clear in your correspondence how you intend to use the material and who will have access to it. Emphasise if the use is for non-commercial, educational purposes. Ensure you obtain permission in writing and keep a record of it. Written permission via email is acceptable. In your use of the material, ensure you attribute the source of the content and note that it is reproduced with permission of the copyright holder.

The Curtin University copyright website provides a sample permission letter for higher degree thesis students who want to reproduce material in their thesis.

For further information on clearing copyright permissions, contact Copyright at Curtin.

Curtin University Library

Related Topics

Contact Us

Robertson Library +61 8 9266 7166

WA School of Mines Kalgoorlie Library +61 8 9088 6630

John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library +61 8 9266 4205