Answered By: Curtin Library
Last Updated: Dec 06, 2018     Views: 7

RightsLink is a digital licensing service from Copyright Clearance Center, that provides permission for the reproduction and distribution of copyrighted materials directly through a publisher’s website.

To request permission through RightsLink:

  1. Locate the title page for the journal article or e-book via the Library Catalogue or publisher’s official website. If a publisher has RightsLink enabled, a permissions request option will be located adjacent to the title and abstract content.

Look for the following terms:

  • Reprints & permissions
  • Rights & permissions
  • Get rights and content
  • Request permissions
  1. Click on the “Rights & Permissions” (or similar) link, and you will be directed to the RightsLink order page.
  1. Select your permission options from the drop down menus. Ensure you select the correct type of use, e.g. “reuse in a thesis/dissertation”.
  1. A publisher may charge a permission fee.  You may obtain a price quote in advance by using the “quick price” button.  All charges are set by the publisher and require payment prior to issue of licence permission.
  1. Follow all prompts to finalize the order, register an account, and check out your order.
    Depending on the type of permission request RightsLinks will:
  • provide the licence immediately via email confirmation,
  • indicate a timeframe in which the publisher will review and respond to the request.

A licence agreement generated from a RightsLink permission request is sufficient copyright clearance for Thesis Students, and may be attached to the thesis appendix.

Related Topics

Contact Us

Robertson Library +61 8 9266 7166

WA School of Mines Kalgoorlie Library +61 8 9088 6630

John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library +61 8 9266 4205