Answered By: Curtin Library
Last Updated: Nov 09, 2018     Views: 179

Material found on the Internet is covered by copyright. It is not ‘copyright free’.  Generally it is advisable to check the terms and conditions of the website (usually to be found under a heading such as "Terms of Use") to see what is permitted.

Some terms and conditions may allow you to make copies, for example documents made available under an ‘open access’ licence such as Creative Commons.

Under the terms of the Copyright Agency Statutory Licence agreement, Curtin staff and students are permitted to copy and communicate text and graphic material (e.g. articles, images, photographs, tables, diagrams, etc.) from public websites for educational purposes. For text materials, limits apply - one article per journal or newspaper issue, 10% of the words, or one chapter of a book.

If relying on the Statutory Licence agreement, access must be restricted to Curtin staff and students and any electronic communication of the material must include the electronic warning notice

For audio or video content, check the website terms of use as this is not covered by the Statutory Licences. It may be simpler to link to, or embed links to the content rather than making copies. (Generally linking does not require permission of the copyright holder.)

When linking to websites, make sure you do not link to sites containing copyright infringing material, i.e. third-party copyright material copied without permission. Linking to infringing material is also a copyright infringement as you are authorising or facilitating an infringement.

If you use material from a website, remember to correctly acknowledge the source, including the URL

Related Topics

Contact Us

Robertson Library +61 8 9266 7166

WA School of Mines Kalgoorlie Library +61 8 9088 6630

John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library +61 8 9266 4205