Answered By: Curtin Library
Last Updated: Oct 31, 2018     Views: 58

No. The Australian Copyright Act only permits "format shifting" from a physical copy (e.g. DVD) to electronic format for "private or domestic use". Screening the copy to students is not considered "private or domestic use".

Educational institutions and libraries have a special provision in the Copyright Act that permits use of copyright material, for example format shifting, without seeking permission in certain circumstances. (This is known as the s200AB or flexible dealing exception.) The use must meet a number of conditions, for example the use must be a "special case" and should not conflict with "a normal exploitation of the material". Since the legal position regarding application of s200AB is somewhat uncertain, staff are advised to contact the Copyright Team before making copies.

As an alternative you may use online videos from the Library Collection as these are governed by Licence Agreements which permit educational use - for more information see the Library's Online Videos' LibGuide.

Related Topics

Contact Us

Robertson Library +61 8 9266 7166

WA School of Mines Kalgoorlie Library +61 8 9088 6630

John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library +61 8 9266 4205